Monday, June 15, 2009

Kreme-ing the Environment


According to an article in the Washington Examiner, Fairfax County is suing the once-upon-a-time donut king Krispy Kreme of sending too much cooking trash down the sewer of its stores.  The county is saying that the donut company's waste is destroying its pipes to the tune of millions of dollars in damage. Talk about dollars to donuts!

Krispy Kreme is fighting back, with the tried and true comment to the press that the claims of Fairfax County are "unfounded."

A long time ago, before iPods and other Apple wonder devices, one of my best friends who now works for Apple worked at a Dunkin' Donuts on Staten Island. Before he worked there I had no idea how donuts were made. I ate them. They were good. I was a teenager and didn't count a calorie. I learned from visiting him on the job one day that the donuts were fried in grease. The back room was filled with the sound of dough frying and the air seemed to have a Los Angeles-type haze because of the grease in the air.

Maybe my friend and his coworkers dumped the grease down the drain in the decades before bio-diesel. I don't know. I do know that my plumber told me not to dump cooking grease down the drain; it'll create a real nasty situation for you and probably run into the hundreds of dollars to fix. 

Hence my collection of cooking oil in containers ready to be dropped off at local hazardous recycling centers. In researching this story, I came across an association for used cooking grease. Ok, it's not actually that, but the National Renderers Association represents the companies that deal in post-consumer food products. And guess what? It's based in Fairfax County!

I'll keep an eye on Krispy Kreme and its battle with the county. Meanwhile, think of this as another example of the behind the scenes effects of the things we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment